Help for Survivors

Support for individuals who have experienced recent sexual assault, past sexual trauma, or childhood sexual abuse.

I’ve just been sexually assaulted.

If you have experienced a recent sexually assaulted, it’s important to seek medical attention. You can do the following:

  • Go to a clinic or your primary health care physician for medical treatment.
  • Go to an emergency department for a forensic exam AND medical treatment. Click here for a complete list of local hospitals. A MOCSA advocate will be contacted to come to the hospital and provide you additional information about your options.
  • Some things to consider — if possible do not shower, eat, drink or brush your teeth; wear or bring the clothes you wore at the time of the assault to the hospital; try not to use the restroom until you are at the hospital.

Do I have to report the assault?

It is your decision whether or not you want to report to law enforcement. Even if you do not want to file a police report, you should still seek medical attention, and it may be helpful to have a forensic exam if you decide at a later date you would like to file a police report. 

If you wish to make a report, it is best to be done soon after the incident. You can call the police department in the city where the assault occurred. MOCSA advocates are available to accompany victims to file initial police reports, to provide support during detective interviews, and throughout the court process.

See additional FAQs below.  

I am interested in individual or group therapy.

For many survivors, sexual trauma can have long-lasting impacts on thinking, feeling, behavior, and relationships. MOCSA provides a safe place for adults who have experienced sexual assault or childhood sexual abuse to develop knowledge and skills for healing and change.

MOCSA’s counseling staff are specifically trained to support survivors of sexual abuse and assault. We offer individual therapy and support groups for men and women, and these services are available no matter how recent or long it’s been since the sexual assault or abuse occurred.  

How much do services cost? 

MOCSA’s services are completely free of charge to survivors and their family.

Are services in person or virtual? 

MOCSA offers both in person and virtual options. Therapists provide services from the main office location in midtown Kansas City and also at outreach offices in eastern Jackson County, and Cass County. When you speak with an Intake Specialist please indicate if you have a preference for location, in person or virtual.

Click to learn more about individual and group counseling options.

What is Title IX?

Title IX is a federal civil right that prohibits sex discrimination in any educational institution that receives federal funding. This includes federally funded colleges and universities. Title IX protects students, faculty and staff who have experienced sexual harassment or sexual violence while on campus or during a campus event. Every campus has a Title IX Coordinator who is in charge of handling all Title IX complaints.

How do I report a Title IX complaint?

Most faculty and staff on campus are mandated reporters. This means that if someone discloses a Title IX offense to them, they must report to the Title IX Coordinator. Once the Title IX Coordinator is aware of the complaint, they must start an investigation. At this point, the Title IX Coordinator must make sure that the student who filed the complaint can still successfully continue their education without having to worry about any further sex discrimination.

What does a Title IX investigation look like?

Each school is different when it comes to Title IX investigations, but they usually all follow basic investigation guidelines.

General Title IX Investigation Steps:

  1. The victim will file an official report
  2. The Title IX Coordinator will review the report and make a determination of how the complaint will be handled
  3. If the Title IX Coordinator determines the report has sufficient merit to proceed, they will assign an investigator to the case
  4. There will be an investigation by trained investigators
  5. Once the investigation is complete, the Title IX Coordinator will decide the outcome of the case

How can MOCSA help?

MOCSA advocates can provide confidential support while deciding whether or not you want to file a Title IX complaint. Unlike faculty and staff on campus, advocates are not required to report a complaint to the Title IX Coordinator. Before getting the school involved, some people may want to weigh their options with an advocate before making their school aware of the Title IX violation. If, after speaking with a MOCSA advocate, you decide to report the incident to your school, the MOCSA advocate can help you through the Title IX process.  



Back to top

Frequently Asked Questions (for a recent sexual assault) 

Where can I get screened for STI’s/STD’s?
What is Emergency Contraception?
What is a SANE (forensic examiner)?
What is included in a forensic exam?
Where can I get a forensic exam?
Do I have to Report to Law Enforcement to have a SANE exam?
What if I am under 18?
Can I have a support person with me during the exam/interview?
Do I have to pay for a SANE exam?
What is Crime Victim’s Compensation?
How do I file a police report?
Will the perpetrator be arrested?

Where can I get screened for STIs/STDs?
Area health departments provide testing and treatment. Planned Parenthood and Kansas City CARE Clinic are also options. Costs vary. You may also see your primary care physician.

What is Emergency Contraception?
If you choose, you may go to a pharmacy and request Emergency Contraception (EC) over the counter. You may also go to Planned Parenthood, Kansas City CARE Clinic to receive EC on a sliding scale, or see your primary care physician. If you have difficulty receiving the medication, contact the MOCSA crisis line (816) 531-0233 or (913) 642-0233 for resources.

What is a SANE?
A Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner (SANE) is a registered nurse who has received specialized training in forensic evidence collection and medical care of adolescent and adult sexual assault and rape victims. Along with the forensic exam, the SANE will provide medical care such as preventive medication for common STIs, disperse Emergency Contraception (EC), treat and document and injuries.

What is included in a forensic exam?
If you are seeking a forensic exam, you will first provide detailed information about the assault, as well as information about your medical history. Be prepared to have injuries documented, including picture documentation, and swabs collected. For more information, MOCSA crisis line (816) 531-0233 or (913) 642-0233.

Where can I get a forensic exam?
Click here for a complete list of hospitals. 

Do I have to report to Law Enforcement to have a SANE exam?
No. In both Kansas and Missouri, a victim of sexual assault can request a forensic exam without reporting to police. Evidence will be stored according to state or program protocol, ask each program for specific information on length of storage.

What if I am under 18?
If you are under 18 and you live in Missouri, you should go to Children’s Mercy Hospital.

If you are under 18 and you live in Kansas, you may be referred by law enforcement to Sunflower House during business hours. After hours, you should go to Shawnee Mission Medical Center or Children’s Mercy Hospital in Downtown Kansas City.

Please note, while you do not need your parent’s permission for forensic care, this does not mean your parents won’t find out about the assault. You can contact the MOCSA crisis line (816)531-0233 or (913)642-0233 to talk about how to tell your parents and discuss your options.

Can I have a support person with me during the exam and interview?
You can have a person you choose as well as a MOCSA advocate during the forensic exam. During the law enforcement interview, your advocate is also allowed in the room if you wish. Check with the police officer/detective for specific information.

Do I have to pay for a forensic exam?
You should NOT be charged to the forensic exam. However, you MAY receive a bill from the hospital emergency department and/or the physician that treated you for medication given to you by the SANE nurse or for tests performed. If you receive a bill, please contact the MOCSA crisis line (816) 531-0233 or (913)642-0233 to discuss your options.

What is Crime Victim’s Compensation?
Crime Victim’s Compensation (CVC) is a fund set up to reimburse victims of crime who have suffered injuries causing a financial loss due to a violent crime. Financial loss may include out of pocket medical expenses, loss of earnings, and other expenses incurred as a direct result of the incident. In order to qualify for CVC, you MUST report the crime and participate with law enforcement. For more information about CVC:


How do I file a police report?
You can go to the police department in the city where the assault occurred or have a police officer respond to your location. If it is an emergency, call 911.

Will the perpetrator be arrested?
The suspect will only be arrested if they have been positively identified and there is probable cause for arrest. Probable cause is determined by a police officer and means there are indicators that it is likely the crime was committed by the person in question.

Back to top